Kummerspecken Fox Strikes Again
**This was originally posted in December of 2021, but disappeared for some reason. I am reposting it now.
Kummerspecken … often in English I
find there is not a word sufficient to cover what we are trying to say. German
has many interesting words … for example they have a word for that moment when
you get off work, and the relief you feel knowing it's the weekend. Kummerspeck
is along those lines. It literally translates to grief bacon. What an odd mix,
but oh so appropriate at times. Now, the Germans will use it to refer to the
weight you might gain while grieving. Yet, I find another meaning in
kummerspeck.
Kummer is an extreme grief. It is
the grief that tears your soul apart a thousand times over in a vicious cycle.
It is in my opinion, a bit beyond the English word grief. When my father passed
it was as if I were being keelhauled in a tropical storm. I could occasionally,
reach the eye of the storm, and feel a moments peace, but then it was back to
riding the storm. But even in that, there were moments of … and odd event. My
sister and I would be talking, and we would be crying, but then we would
remember a funny story, and while crying painful tears that rip your heart, we
were laughing. I have studied psychology, read many books, and perhaps it is the
fog of grief, but cannot recall ever hearing of this.
I began to search for a word. Surely,
someone else had experienced this right? My sister and I can’t be the only ones
out of billions of people to be able to cry in grief while laughing. There had
to be a single word I could use to explain it. I could not find it. I was led
to websites offering grief counseling, and antidotes as well as things to say to
the bereaved … not useful right then … Then I remembered a video I watched on
German Girl in America channel on YouTube. She had went over a list of words
that included a single word for the relief felt when it is the weekend … don’t
ask me what the word is. At this point I only know it exists.
I began my search. While I did not
find exactly what I was looking for, I did find kummerspeck. Bacon. Bacon while
fatty brings comfort. Kummer … grief … kummerspeck … grief comfort. Being able to
feel two things at once. While this is not how the Germans use the word, that is
the meaning I am taking from it. There can be comfort, even in moments of grief.
We must lean on the Lord, and lean like we have never leaned before, when things
are at their worst.
As to the fox … ah the fox. I love
foxes … perhaps a bit obsessed. I have fox shirts, slippers, plushies and
blankets. On a really bad day years ago, feeling overwhelmed, I put on my fox
shirt and grumpily went out among the public. A friend was picking me up for a ladies
Bible study, but I had not had time to eat. On the way she stopped at a coffee
shop. We went through the drive-thru. I ordered a coffee, some sort of food, and
then thought of the cake pops. I asked for one, and the drive-thru lady asked
what kind. I was not in a position to make decisions. I was pretty overwhelmed
with life. So, I brightened my voice and said, “Surprise me.” I honestly just
wanted the distraction of sugar … maybe not a good choice, but it is what it is.
We get to the window, and on the
treat bag she had drawn a little fox. And in the bag was a fox cake pop. I do
not know why that made me as happy as it did, but for the first time in days, I
had a genuine smile. I told her she had no idea how happy this made me, and
showed her my shirt as best as you can sitting in a car. She had not seen the
shirt on the camera, but felt like the fox cake pop was best … so who saw me?
The Lord watches us always. Little things, like an ordinary fox pop, while not
the answer to the universe, are often signs from Him that he cares for his
sparrows and lilies.
Years past by, and I had not once
seen another fox cake pop. Yes, I know where to get them, but they were usually
out when I went … I hardly ever go to coffee shops. Usually, I save the treat
for days when I need a small boost. When my father died my world shook. There
were times, I could not breathe without ordering myself to take slow breaths.
Days after his passing, we had a
hectic day involving having a single vehicle that had an oil change appointment,
and a trip to the grocery store that had to be done right then, as we had
not done any shopping … I should mention here that my father-in-law had passed
less than two weeks before my dad. So, we were barely starting to return to
normal from that. Here we were scrambling to hold on to … something.
I needed a cup of coffee. The
largest white mocha I could find. I went with my husband while he took care of
picking up a few things to tide us over until we could do a full trip … As we
entered the coffee shop, I was trying to control my face. I didn’t want those
questions from strangers … the “Are you okay?” I was honestly afraid I would
break down in the store. I thought to myself, or maybe it was a prayer? “Lord, I
could really use a fox cake pop right now.” Then my cynical brain took over…
“And you KNOW that is not happening.” I meekly accepted my brain’s logic.
When I got to the display counter
in the coffee shop, I noticed not only was there not a fox cake pop, but there
was not even a single plain cake pop. I held back a sigh, and double checked
that my brave face was in place as I approved the counter. I ordered my white
mocha, and a cinnamon crumb cake. Just as I was about to pay out of the corner
of my eye to the right, I noticed a basket of cake pops. I noticed cute little
reindeers. I reached for one to give to my daughter. As I moved it, there was
that kummerspecken fox. God in that moment reached out, and squeezed my hand. He
holds us always. I felt in that moment a bit of calming peace, and was able to
have a genuine smile. In that moment, there was no kummer, only speckenfox and
God’s amazing Grace.
Comments
Post a Comment