Trusting in Him
As a child, I used to believe that things would make sense when I was older. I believed that as a grown up, I would not feel vulnerable and would always know what to do. A few years ago, I took my youngest to see Frozen 2. When Olaf sang the song 'When I'm Older,' I laughed out loud in the theater, much to the horror of my daughter. She could not figure out what could possibly be funny.
The truth, of course, is that growing older doesn't mean everything makes sense. In fact, we are warned in the Bible not to lean on our own understanding. 5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6).
One of my favorite passages is found in Matthew. Where Christ calls a child to him 2 And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:2-4). Isn't it wonderful that he doesn't require us to understand everything?
I have heard enough theological debates to spin any scholar's eyes. Not mentioning any names *cough cough. My friend and I would watch the men with raised eyebrows and head shakes as the debate became ... passionate. While debates over baptism, communion, and many other details are important on some level, we shouldn't worry about them too much, in my opinion. What is important is that we come to Christ like children. Children don't worry about finances and where their next meal will come from (typically, I can write a pretty tragic backstory post about that another day.) Maybe I should say most people don't think about children having those worries.
They trust their parents to provide for their needs. They care more about the president's pets than national policy. Oh, to return to those days! Sweet bliss. While we can't return to the innocence of childhood, we can lay our burdens down. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7).
There are several verses about letting go of anxiety throughout the Bible. I used to scoff and say, "easier said than done." And that is why I say, trust is an action. It is praying, asking for prayer, and opening your Bible so that you are grounded in the word of God. - If you are not a Christian, I make no apologies or concessions here. This is what I believe with my entire being. No second guessing, no doubt about it. Nothing that happens is outside of our Heavenly Father's control. I have to constantly remind myself not to stare at the monitors in ICU. Doing so changes my focus. There another action. Turn away from the monitor - unless it starts alarming, then make sure staff are coming and get out of the way. The monitor doesn't control the life God gave my husband. I am prayerfully leaving things in His hands. I now leave the hospital at night, so I can rest. This is TRUST! And the first night I did it, it was hard. I had to remind myself 'Walk by Faith, not by sight.' Even if my eyes are not on my husband, God's eyes are! This doesn't mean bad things won't happen. But it does mean trusting that what happens is within God's plan.
And so, Dear Reader, I close with this. Be active in your trust in Him. Rest, for even though the things you may be going through, or have been through, don't make sense, He cares for the lilies in the fields, and the sparrows, and He cares for you.
https://gofund.me/ed7da39f
ReplyDeleteHere is their GoFundMe for donations for treatment and help during this difficult time